Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Winter Holiday Baking

Hello. Tammy G here. I am a caterer and love to bake. I'm new to blogging so bear with me.

Let's talk about holiday baking. My sister and I always make a lot of different cookies and desserts for the holidays. It always pays to have a large varity of desserts for your party, whether it's a small get together or a large event. People love dessert and will often eat it when they eat nothing else.

This year we had Snowball Cookies as usual. They are a variation of Chocolate Chip Cookies but they stay round when baked and are rolled in confectionary sugar after they come out of the oven. I love, love these cookies. Once you try them, you will be hooked. This recipe has been in my family for a long time. It says that you will get alot of cookies from each batch of dough that you prepare but we never do. You would have to make the balls of dough kinda small to get that many. We make the cookies larger because they are so much better that way.

Another wonderful item for the holidays is fudge. Any kind is good, but I like Peanut Butter Fudge and Candy Bar Fudge. For Candy Bar Fudge, you take a basic, easy fudge recipe and add chopped candy bars to it before it sets. We usually add Snickers or something similar. Adding the candy really makes a difference in the fudge.

Other popular items this year were: Peppermint Bark, Peanut Butter Squares, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Rum Cake. I make a lot of Rum Cakes all through the year. I used to only make it for my customers during the winter holidays, but it was requested so much that I started to make it available year round. This year I probably made 20 of them during the year and another 30 or so for the holidays.

Please post your holiday favorites.

No comments: